The Davis River starts at the confluence of the Tommyhawk and Poonagarra creeks, about 10 kilometres east of Mount Cooke. It flows approximately north-east for 65 kilometres before joining the Oakover River just above the Running Waters Waterhole.
Shag Pool is five kilometres from the start of the river. In its run to the Oakover it flows past the base of Bee Hill.
It was named by surveyor W.F. Rudall in 1897 although it is not known after whom he named it.
It is not the same watercourse named the Davis River by F.T.Gregory in 1861, shown on Exploration Plan 87. Gregory’s river Davis is the current day Mt Sydney Creek, 40 kilometres to the north.
Exploration Plan 83
Exploration Plan 87