Ballinyoo Bridge is 80 kilometres south of the Murchison Settlement on the Carnarvon Mullewa Road. Constructed in the 1930s, it was the second concrete bridge to be built in Western Australia and it now the oldest concrete bridge in WA1.
Early drovers crossed the Murchison at Ballinue2, however when surveyor Harry F. Johnston was operating in the area in 1876 he recorded the name as Ballinyoo3.
1. Main Roads Department (Bridge No. 837).
2. Broad, Nan with Bridge, Peter (eds), The Journal of the Brockman Droving Expedition of 1874−75 to the North West of Western Australia, Hesperian Press, Carlisle, Western Australia, 2006.
3. H.F. Johnston, Fieldbook 3, page 37.
© Kim Epton 2015-2018
Feel free to use any part of this document but do the right thing and give attribution.