Two bridges cross the Murchison River at Galena. The low level concrete bridge upriver from the more modern structure was built in 1945 and was termed Galena Bridge after the now abandoned nearby townsite of Galena. Galena is the name given to lead sulphite, the principal ore of lead. When the new high level bridge was opened in 1983 to carry North West Coastal Highway across the Murchison River the Main Roads Department requested that it be officially named Galena Bridge.
Immediately upriver of the low level bridge on both sides of the river is large areas of free camping with tables, bbq areas and toilets. It is a very popular area for travellers, mosquitoes, flies and myriads of other annoying, biting insects.
Because of its location it has been a focal point of our expeditions.
The reports of the various trips, tours and travels on the Adventures website have a lot of information about place names – their naming and features – toponymy. More information.
© Kim Epton 1995-2019
Feel free to use any part of this document but please do the right thing and give attribution. It will enhance the SEO of your website/blog and this website.
204 words, one photograph.