The original Madura Station Homestead was first settled by a G. Heinzmann in 1876.
Over the years leases covering varying areas were granted to a succession of hopeful pastoralists. Among these was William Henry Graham, the first Stationmaster at Eyre’s Patch Telegraph Station. Cavalry and polo horses were bred for the Indian Army for many years. They were shipped away from the coast south of Madura. There being no loading facilities immediately south of Madura, this operation was probably carried out at Eucla or Eyre.
Text by Kim Epton
Feel free to use any part of this content with attribution.