The vermin proof fence was built in 1902-03 as part of a series of fences in Western Australia totalling 3,300 kilometres in length. Though the fence had its critics who doubted its value, the invasion of rabbits from the east was slowed. The fence is part of the original No. 1 Rabbit Proof Fence. It has been maintained and over the years has served to prevent other pests, such as emus, getting through.
The fence coincides with the line of rainfall required for successful farming. The land to the west, except for reserves, has been taken up by farmers. The land to the east is bush.