Wickepin is a service town for the surrounding agricultural district. It has a population of around 240.
Lots for the town were surveyed in 1908 near Yarling Well and close to Wickepin Spring, and when it came to gazette the townsite in June the Surveyor General, H.F. Johnston, decided it should be named Wickepin in preference to Yarling.
Wickepin is an aboriginal name for a spring, first recorded by a Surveyor H.S. Ranford in 1881, The area around the spring was first leased in the early 1870s by C.C. Smith but there is no record of the name from him..