Israelite Bay was named by the Dempster Brothers in 1863 after they became aware of the fact that it was the southern end of the boundary between two aboriginal tribes. The aborigines to the west circumcised the youths whereas those to the east did not.
The telegraph station established here in 1877 was part of the East West telegraph line. The station was abandoned in 1917 when the line was moved north. The building was purchased privately in 1927 and later vested in the National Trust. The original building was constructed of timber, being replaced by a stone building in 1896. The complex includes the ruins of a cottage built in 1884 and two graveyards where telegraph operators and others who lived in the area are buried.
The Glencoe Station Homestead was originally the home of John Brook, the first linesman at Israelite Bay.
The reports of the various trips, tours and travels on the Adventures website have a lot of information about place names – their naming and features – toponymy. More information.
© Kim Epton 2013-2019
Feel free to use any part of this document but please do the right thing and give attribution. It will enhance the SEO of your website/blog and this website.