Mullewa is in the northern agricultural region, 450 kilometres north of Perth and 98 kilometres east-north-east of Geraldton. Today, it is a grain receival centre, a destination for wildflower tourists and a transfer point for iron ore from Tallering going to the port at Geraldton.
It is named after Mullewa Spring, an aboriginal name first recorded on plans of the area following settlers taking up pastoral leases in 1869. There are various interpretations of the meaning of Mullewa – Mulwala meaning ‘swan’; Mullawaya – meaning ‘land of plenty’; Mulleearra from the Champion Bay dialect is interpreted as ‘east’ or ‘eastward’; and Moorawa, Mooloowa and Mooroo translated as ‘fog’ by Daisy Bates from the Northampton, Champion Bay, Yuin and Irwin areas.
In 1894 the government built a railway from Geraldton to Mullewa, and later that year the town was gazetted. Mullewa became an important junction until the railway to Meekatharra was closed in 1978.
The reports of the various trips, tours and travels on the Adventures website have a lot of information about place names – their naming and features – toponymy. More information.
© Kim Epton 2015-2019
Feel free to use any part of this document but please do the right thing and give attribution. It will enhance the SEO of your website/blog and this website.