The Coongan River is about 200 kilometres in length and flows into the De Grey River at Mulyie Pool.
The town of Marble Bar is built on the Coongan River. A large outcrop of jasper (‘marble’) runs across the river and famously bars it at this point.
The name was recorded by surveyor Alexander Forrest in 1878. Its meaning is unknown although it is of aboriginal derivation.
A. Forrest, Fieldbook 25, p.51
T.N. Plan 3