Emu Rock is a huge granite outcrop surrounded by sheoaks that in days past provided a focal point for social and cultural gatherings of the Ballardong people. Today it offers excellent camping sites, overlooking a small, unnamed lake.
R.J. Holland named Emu Rock as ‘The King Rock’ in 1893. Surveyor A.W. Canning (he of Canning Stock Route fame!) referred to as Emu Rock during his surveys of the Rabbit Proof Fence in 1902.
To prevent confusion with King Rocks further north-west, named by Frank Hann in 1901, the name Emu Rock was adopted.
Despite what some people write Emu Rock is not the ‘start’ of the 4WD section of the Holland Track.
The reports of the various trips, tours and travels on the Adventures website have a lot of information about place names – their naming and features – toponymy. More information.
© Kim Epton 2016-2019
Feel free to use any part of this document but please do the right thing and give attribution. It will enhance the SEO of your website/blog and this website.
196 words, one photograph.